Friday, February 1, 2013

Homework


December Comment: HOMEWORK

If this is a repeat posting, I apologize, though I could not find it....

In a December Comment in The New Yorker, Louis Menand focuses on the ever-popular topic of homework and the conflicting opinion and research around it.  For instance:

* Some research does, in fact, indicate a positive correlation between homework and success in school.
* Homework loads in the US, on average, are not increasing.
* His comparison between Finnish and South Korean schools' approaches to homework and education is worth reading.

As a parent who rarely is home to help my kids with their homework, I worry about the impact of my absence on their development of academic skills and mindsets.  My third-grader is tackling decimals, fractions, multiplication tables and reading/writing at a level that (finally) requires practice and reflection.  And so, my opinion is mixed.  After a long day at school, my kids need a break and deserve time to be physically active.  That said, their homework gives me a window into their learning at school and, at times, gives them an opportunity to show us how proud they are of their academic achievements.  As a public health advocate, I worry about the bias that is reflected in the association between SES and academic success.  And, as a teacher, I know that some homework makes a difference in students' "ownership" of skills and material...and some does not.

As always, fodder for discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment