Saturday, November 16, 2013

Classroom Equality Plus Service Leadership?

I started my teaching and coaching career as a capital L Leader, with very clear ideas on how things should be done and who should do them.  Maybe that was a result of the challenges in Detroit- crazy public schools plus an equally crazy boat club for a total of eight or nine hours a day of weird.

But, this year I've made a few resolutions.  One is that I will do my best never to reword a student's statement in class.  Another is that I am trying never to tell a student he or she is wrong, but find a way for that realization to happen independently.

I stumbled across this NPR blog entry on Facebook this morning (NPR's blog is the absolute best about Facebook by the way).  It details a student run classroom, similar to but different than Harkness.  It's very thought-provoking:

Subverting the System: Student and Teacher as Equals

Combine that with Greenleaf's classic The Servant as Leader and you have a fundamentally different kind of education.

The Servant as Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment